Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Desert citizens

Deserts are wonderful habitats for the citizens of the land.  Today I found a lovely representative of the Reptile group.


Western Diamondback rattlesnake




Western Diamondback rattlesnake

I counted the rattles on his tail and I believe it had 5 rattles.



When I first saw him he was in the roadway, coiled up and watching me intently, rattling and warning.  I went to my RV to get my camera ( this dunce forgot to take it on the exercise trip)  and by the time I was back to his location, and was prepared to photo him, he had moved off the road and was in the rocks near the road.  Still he did pose beautifully for his portrait to be taken!
I was quite surprised that the dogs were very calm and did not pull my arm off trying to get to the snake.  When we see the rabbits, rodents, etc in the area, they are most excited and hard to control.  Not so with this snake!



5 comments:

  1. OMG -and a loud EEEK from me. Beautiful photos - I'm so glad I didn't see him. You dogs somehow must have known he was danger. Good girl, Fleur! Especially good boy, Power! I'm surprised Power didn't go for him. Thank God they were calm and stayed with you. Give them both a pat from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to add this - I wonder if the pouches in his head are where the venom is stored? They sure do blend well into the scenery, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have run in the other direction. Glad the dogs weren't interested.

    Remember seeing on a film that if you come across a rattler the best thing is to move the side and then back, as when they strike they do so right in front of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out this post that some other bloggers did on avoidance rattlesnake training for their dogs. http://travelwithwhippets.blogspot.com/2013/04/rattlesnake-avoidance-training-beauty.html

    I keep thinking about it and if we end up in AZ, I might do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have given that snake plenty of room, too! You got some great pictures of it!

    ReplyDelete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.