Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Saturday, October 20, 2012

New Dog

Today I went to the adoption area for Greyhounds of the Verde Valley, held at the Fall Festival in Camp Verde, AZ.  They had six dogs present.  One was the most beautiful brindle you've ever laid eyes on.  He was also very full of himself.  He was continuously trying to escape the fencing, by squeezing through the one inch opening, or jumping up on the fence, and generally thinking mischief.

Another was a lovely red boy, who was calm and good mannered but had recently killed a cat.

Third was a smaller red girl with her tail completely tucked up between her legs, shaking with fear, unable to hardly breath she was so fearful.  Poor girl!

A black girl called Sedona, who had some adjustment problems at her foster home.

Another brindle dog, and one more red boy.

Finally, a black boy 18 months old, white chin, white chest, white feet and white tipped tail.  He was walking like he was in pain, and didn't want to walk at all.  Turns out he had an accident in a recent race, got his feet and legs torn up.  One toe had to be amputated( it's still bandaged), and the other feet are abraded, scuffed ankles, and wrists as well.  Tomorrow I will go to his vet and the stitches on the amputation will be removed. I hope to find out the extent of his injuries and find out what I need to do to get the best healing possible.
His name is Wild Power House, and to me he will be Power. He will have some real healing to do, along  with trying to regrow the hair on his rear hips, and his tail.  Many greyhounds rub up against the bars of their cages and rub the hair off.  My greyhounds have all had this for a short while.  Most grows back within the first year in a home where they are loved and not caged.



Welcome, Power!

12 comments:

  1. Yeaaaa! I'm almost as excited as you are! Beautiful Power will be a great dog for you, and I'm sure Fleur and Chicha will love him. Power is lucky to have a nurse for a Mom, especially at first while he's healing. :)

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww.....he is a handsome guy. I hope he heals quickly. Is he able to climb into the motor home okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Power today at the Vet where they removed his stitches and gave me another bottle of antibiotics to give him. The Vet said to keep him out of dirt for a few days and no bandages would be needed. I found that he wanted to lick it continuously so I put a sock over it and now he's leaving it alone. He didn't have much trouble getting into the motorhome, and sure never had any trouble eating his first meal!

      Delete
  3. Just found you blog. CONGRATULATIONS on adding Power to your family! There is nothing like the love of a rescue pet.

    Best wishes to you as you welcome POWER into your home and provide him with the unconditional love he needs to aid his healing process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks so much for your good wishes.

      Delete
  4. Power is beautiful and you are both so lucky to have found each other...many happy and fun days and years to come!! Love following along with you and your adventures...I found your blog thru Me and my Dog....I love following along with Barbara and Katie also :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog. We travel (to Arizona) for the winter in a 5th wheel and this is our first season to travel with dogs. A Min Pin and a Doberman. Glad I found your blog, will have to catch up and and keep up. Blessings!!
    M-I-L (Mother-in-Law) my nickname given to me by my D-I-L

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so exciting. Welcome Power to your new pack and forever home. Hazel, I am so happy for you. I feel the love you are showing Power already. He is one lucky little boy. Blessings to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harriet, thanks for your support. I hope Power learns to love me. I find him very lovable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Power is so lucky to have found his new family. Enjoy Quartzite and we will watch as he continues to heal and the love grows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is so lucky to have found you! Think of the adventures you will all have together!

    ReplyDelete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.