Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The sky's the limit!


 I am not afraid of heights, and have never minded climbing ladders, roof work, balconys, cleaning windows on top floors, or the like.  Adding height to the equation of life seems to make it more exciting. Since living in the motorhome, I've realized that roof work is an essential part of maintenance.
I could hire it all done, but enjoy seeing for myself that things are in good condition.


I decided that it was time that I installed the vent cover on my motorhome roof!  I'd been procrastinating, and thus I could not leave the vent open during rain.  I ordered the vent cover a few weeks ago, and it's been staying in the shipping box for about two weeks in my yard!  I got the cover out of the shipping box, and put the pieces together, then rounded up all the tools that I thought I would need.  All these supplies were placed in a Walmart bag( not a very technological solution for jobs), and tied to a piece of rope.  My theory is that I need both hands to get up the ladder, and then I can pull on the rope to get my tools up.  I always hope that I won't fall from the ladder and/or roof, and so far, so good!  I wore an old broad brimmed hat, and knee pads for comfort, and I am glad to get it done.

After getting up there, I realized I forgot the putty knife.  I didn't want to go down and back up, so I asked my neighbor if he would loan me one , and would put it in the tool bag.  The putty knife turned out to be essential, so I did peel off the putty type caulking and install the brackets that the vent cover was to be attached to.

I had taken a battery operated screwdriver to the roof, and I was so very glad that I did, because the old screws ( they had to be removed) were a doozy to get out and the new screws were really hard to get into their place.  I think I would have tired out too soon if I'd been using a hand held screwdriver.  As it was, I nearly gave out from the effort!

Once the vent cover was installed, I got off the roof and collapsed into my comfortable chair.  Done at last!

Someone said I should train my greyhounds to do those jobs, but I don't think the ladder climbing is in their repertoire!
Fleur working hard!

Power working hard also!


Thanks for the help, guys!

14 comments:

  1. I admire you, even though you couldn't get Power and Fleur to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I wish you would train my two greys to do the work. You have all four of yours trained so well!

      Delete
  2. I hear you about some of those chores that would be so much easier if someone else did them. Great feeling of accomplishment though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't mind doing it if I can work at my own speed and rest afterwards, and if I know how to do what is needed.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on finally getting around to putting on your vent. I'm a serious procrastinator, and who knows if I would ever get around to doing it. I'm sure the pups were just resting up in case you needed their help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do some procrastinating myself! And I think you are right about the dogs resting.

      Delete
  4. HAHAH greyhounds don't like stairs, let alone ladders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greys may not like stairs, but I have to get them really trained to go up the steps to enter the motorhome. Power in particular likes to stand in the doorway both coming and going, and just think and think, but not go out or in, and meantime the heat or rain or flies or mosquitoes are having free reign.

      Delete
  5. Yep, I don't think you'll get far with Greyhounds. They just look good (sweet too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on getting the vent cover on. Suppose you have to be pretty handy living on your own. Are you able to do things to the engine?

    I am sure both hounds were supervising you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I can do easy stuff like checking or changing oil, checking for antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, but nothing fancy. Would you like to do it for me?

      Delete
  7. Can you come and install ours? My husband installed one in April and the other one has been waiting to be installed. It is always too cold, too hot or too windy according to him. I thought it was going to get installed last month, but nope. LOL No, I will not do it on my own. I am scared of heights. I got on a ladder last week to put the shade on the windshield and that is enough for me.

    Congrats to you for being able to do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, just come on by here and I'll whisk up on your roof and do it for you!

      Delete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.