Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Those luxuriously lovely Quail!


I am always so very happy whenever I get to see these beautiful birds!
When I arrive in a location, I put out bird seed and water, and a hummingbird feeder.  I've been here about three weeks and just yesterday I began to see these birds eating the seed I put out.  They might have been eating it before but I didn't see them.

Gambel's Quail
These quail live under the palo verde trees about 40 feet from my motorhome
and I often hear them calling to each other with the"covey call", like saying "I'm here, where are you?



Gambel's quail


I think that the very bold coloring, the feather topknot, the very sharp differentiation between the different colors, , and the voice are so wonderful and pretty much indescribable (by me).

I feel that picking a campsite (near enough to the quail to enjoy feeding, watering, photoing and listening)  is important to me, and will be the main deciding factor in the location!

                            I hope you enjoy this brief glimpse.

7 comments:

  1. thank you for the great pictures of the quail, I see them occasionally on Vancouver Island when I go there and I do so love their quiet existence. Right now, I am hearing the Morning doves calling to one another and they are lovely as well.
    Love your blog as it enables me to see other places and things, Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie. I wish you a Merry Christmas as well. Also, I'm surprised that these quail are that far north. thanks for sharing that with me!

      Delete
  2. They really are lovely. Love the topknot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That topknot is like a fancy ladies' fascinater hat!

      Delete
  3. Yes, they are one of my favorites, too. I love the coloring and the way they scurry along so fast. They remind me of Roman Catholic Nuns in their habits scurrying quickly along the halls of my elementary school. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw catholic nuns scurrying along in their habits, but am glad to know that there are other creatures that share that trait!

      Delete
  4. They're adorable! I can see why you like them, and I'd choose a spot where I could admire them, too!

    ReplyDelete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.