Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A Quilting girl

I have been spending a bit of time each day in the restoration of my antique heritage quilt.  My hands get somewhat painful if I work more than about an hour in all the hand stitching.  I really love doing it and am making progress!



The plaid shirts that I have been  buying at thrift shops have been cut into strips to go into this new quilt, called Dad's Plaids.  Yesterday, I finally got out the sewing machine, set it up on the tiny table, and turned the driver's seat around, and got to work sewing the strips together for this new quilt.  I was a bit worried that I would not get the strips sewn into a good pattern, but the pattern designer said to do a rotating pattern of light strips and dark strips.  She said to use the spread of the hand, stretched out widely to determine the rotation of the colors.  

The strips are sewn with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, so I set to work on the sewing.

I draped the sewn strips over the sewing machine for this photo, and in the photo you will be able to see that the strips are all different lengths and widths.

My dogs are lying on the sofa just adjacent to the sewing machine and the situation doesn't seem to scaring them at all!


They are enjoying a nap!

8 comments:

  1. Your quilts are beautiful! The antique heritage quilt brought tears to my eyes reminding me of grandmothers and aunts. The Dad's Plaids is so clever! Do you ever show your quilts at fairs or other venues?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the quilt is coming along really nicely! You're doing great work on it. And Bunny says that supervising isn't as easy as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt Hazel.

    Looks like Hera and Power where worn out by all the crafting going on:) LOL

    Hope you have have a good day. Sue & Polly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad's plaid is very interesting! Can't wait to see it develope. I use to go to auctions and "save" all sorts of hand work. Just killed me that no one wanted these family hand stitched items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt looks great. And napping is how they show their support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt, I love the plaid idea.
    I have always wanted to make a quilt but don't think I have the patience - or skill.
    Looking forward to seeing it finished.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an awesome start to your plaid quilt, Hazel! I'm excited to see your progress. Your antique quilt repair looks like it's going very well too. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the repairs are looking good.
    I love plaid quilts even though I haven't ever made one.

    ReplyDelete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.