Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Friday, September 27, 2013

Georgous surprise!

I went to the Gallup Walmart, and after picking a parking spot, I noticed the following bird wading in the water and grass in a drainage ditch.  I grabbed my camera and got these shots of this beautiful juvenile green heron!
When I first saw him, the fellow was thinking of hiding in the grass.



He really looked like he wanted to hide, but his instincts tell him that stillness and his coloring camouflages him better than the movement of running and hiding.





I had a great time looking in my bird reference books, to double check my memories.  The maps in my Sibley's Guide to Birds,  suggests that he is migrating through this area.




Notice that his legs are yellowish colored.  When he is fully adult the yellow will be more orange.

He will always have a very short tail, and an old boyfriend of mine used to call him the "no-ass-a-tol" bird!

Thanks for enjoying with me!

9 comments:

  1. Hazel, your photos are fabulous! Great close-ups. My camera phone's shots were awful, I deleted them; I'm so glad you had your camera with you. The detail is perfect. You can even see the little green area between his eyes and his beak. Good job!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab photos. He looks similar to a Bittern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the best find anyone could make at a Walmart, in my opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, I agree that that was a real treat for me!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful bird, we probably would have ate it though. Lovely pictures.

    Mac and Maisie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I would have appreciated what I was looking at. Nice catch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great pictures you got of him! I love a good surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.