Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Thursday, June 26, 2014

ETSY for scraps!

For my quilting project, I wanted fabric which was compatable with the antique quilt I am restoring.



One or two of you might remember that I have been working on restoring an old family quilt.As you can see from the photo below, the fabrics are very old time prints and solids.
I could not really find fabric that was right for the project.  I got a few pieces from thrift shops as a gift from camping friends.




Eventually I began going to quilt shops and still had difficulty finding all I needed.
One day I was on my computer and decided to check out ETSY for old style fabrics.

I found a dealer who sold scraps from her own quiltmaking, and these were all the old style.  


Do you notice the orange and beige plaid?  This is a rectangle about 2in by 4 in. and it is one of the larger pieces.  Isn't the pattern on the fabric very old style?

I needed several days to sort the scraps, and then to file them in the small plastic drawer in a tiny folder for each pattern.


On the plastic drawer top, you can see the small blue check, and it is only one of the 45 different patterns I received.  These pieces were mostly small triangles, small squares, and a few ( very few)rectangles.

So, I am slowly making progress in repairing this very old quilt, mostly using these fabrics for the very tiny squares and triangles, and then using the shirt from "Sister Susan" and "Sister Sandy", and my "Uncle ED" who was married to my Aunt Anita.

The blue, yellow and red striped fabric is from Sister Susan




The pink and black fabric is from Sister Sandy

9 comments:

  1. It's looking lovely. It's wonderful that it was kept and not thrown away.

    Hope you and your fur babies are ok and looking forward to the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! We look forward to every day!

      Delete
  2. This is really a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's turning out to be so pretty! You're doing a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made lots of mistakes and am slowing learning enough to undo the mistakes and get it right!

      Delete
  4. You are doing a wonderful job Hazel. Adding pieces from your Sisters,Aunt and Uncle keeps the family heritage going. How wonderful you have fabric that fit in this quilt...would never thought to look at Etsy for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you are doing this and it has inspired me to fix my old baby quilt!! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shiela, thanks so much for your comment! I want to see a photo of the baby quilt! I hope to hear from you as it progresses.

      Delete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.