Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Friday, April 5, 2013

City of Rocks, or City of Critters?

While searching for an owl, I happened to see this squirrel.  He was so camouflaged that it would have been easy to miss him. He didn't even move, because I think he was hoping to not be seen.  He's about the same color and shape as the rock he's sitting on.

Still no sighting of the owl!

There are lots of Gambel's Quail at this park.  I really love their little top feathers!





Quite a few roadrunners are being spotted throughout the park!  They are not afraid to come up into the campsites.  One or two of them have even come into my fenced dog yard.  I found it difficult to believe that they thought it was smart to come into large dog's territory.  This morning, I opened the motorhome door to let the dogs out to pee, and there was a roadrunner, leisurely inspecting the dogs yard!  My female, Fleur, was out the door before I had even seen the roadrunner and she grabbed his/her tail feathers, pulling one tail feather out as the bird took off flying out to safety!  I am so relieved that the bird got away!

Desert Cottontail Rabbits



Jackrabbits


Ravens seem to know it's breeding season, as I see them building nests.

I saw three pronghorns as I was driving a few days ago.
Pronghorn
Pronghorn













I also saw a low slung creature which was waddling it's way across the road, and by the time I got my camera aimed, it was walking in tall grass, so my picture is not very definitive. Can you identify it?



 There are also skunks, which I smell but have not seen, cactus wrens, many other birds, javalina, porcupines, lizards, golden eagles, etc.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting that 2 of these rv blogs that I read are in the same area. Is the author of 'me and my a dog' a friend of yours by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab photos. Hope you don't come across a skunk:) Can't identify the animal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing it's a coyote. You definitely see a lot of cool wildlife in your neck of the woods. Bunny picked up a baby robin in her mouth once, several times, before finally letting it go. It was a surprise for all involved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. one person said it was a badger, one person said coatimundi. I wish I knew the real name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could identify that critter, but all I can tell is that it has lots of fur! I enlarged it twice, and I still couldn't tell which end was which. I hope you see another one.

    Great photos of the local critters. I don't think full-timing would be half as much fun without the critters and birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome to be able to travel around and take photos of such an array of wildlife ... even unidentifiable ones:) I'd love to know what the animal in your last photo is too! I don't think it's anything we have in New Zealand! I had a family of Japanese Quail on my front lawn a couple of days ago and I quickly shut my doors so they could potter around safely:) It was a treat to see them.

    ReplyDelete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.