Beautiful sights

Beautiful sights
Horses at blue water Lake state park

Monday, March 11, 2013

Travelling to my Volunteering position


I wrote about checking out the Escapees Park in Benson, AZ.  When I left Quartzsite, I drove to Yuma, visited my friend Joy, and then drove on east on I-8 till I got to Benson, AZ. 

Power, the black greyhound had been in the motorhome since he joined our family.  But the motorhome has not been moving except to get to Quartzsite and then to go to the dump station every month.  He was not used to it moving down a highway, and he had a rough day.  He panted and tried his best to sit on top of me while we travelled.As the day progressed he got more relaxed but if we had a bumpy spot, he jumped up about a foot, and panted more!  Poor baby!

I stopped at the Love's truck stop for the night.  I had stayed there several times before, and was confident that I could find it in the dark.  I didn't want to try to find the Escapees park in the dark, since I had never been there before.  The next morning, I went to the Escapees park, and drove through the park.  The lady in the office gave me a warm welcome and a map, so I explored on my own.  I was quite impressed with the park. The lots are large and level, and the streets are on terraces on a gentle hillside.


The second travelling day, Power was much more relaxed and was able to lie down on his bed while we went down the highway, and he panted very little.
I was relieved to see the improvement.

Over the years, I have worked as a camp host, a fee collector at recreation areas, BLM fee host, but have not yet worked at a state park.  I've been wanting to do this, but have been non-agressive in seeking a position.  I applied at one park, but they were all full up for volunteers.  I asked at another park, but they were also full up.  So this year I wrote to another ranger, and surprise! He stated right away that he would like for me to come, and so this week I leave Quartzsite AZ, and go to City of Rocks State Park, New Mexico.

City of Rocks is a beautiful park with breathtaking rock formations.  Most of the campsites are situated in the spaces between the huge rocks.  So unusual and very inspiring.




Camping at City of Rocks State Park

The night sky is so spectacular that it takes one's breath away. Also there are 5 miles of hiking or walking trails.


I originally thought that the altitude of the park was about 4000 ft, but after a bit of research found that it is almost 5200 ft!  Surprise!

While I was parking my RV, I saw a canyon towhee, and a black throated sparrow.  These are both new birds for me for this year.  Now that camp is nearly set up, I will put my new camera to good use and see if I can get photos of the birds with that lovely 42x telephoto lens.  It's so fun to see different wildlife, and enjoy them.

3 comments:

  1. You got a new camera - 42x??? I'm so jealous! I'm been doing research on new cameras, mine is still locking up when I try to focus the zoom. It will have to last for a while, but I definitely want that long zoom when I replace it.

    I can't wait to see the park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like soooo much fun -- though I have to say camping under that rock would make me nervous! Glad Power is getting more comfortable with riding down the road. I love it when Those Brindle Kids will lay down and sleep. I'm always scared one of them will get hurt in a fall.

    Looking forward to seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a fab site to be at.

    ReplyDelete

Due to strange comments from anonymous persons, I will be moderating comments for now.